Seasons In Exile

The writings of a man reinventing himself out of necessity...

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Getting To Know You

Well, since we're just starting out here, I might as well give you all some insight as to just who Jonathan R. Leary is, just in case any of you give a rat's behind...

My name is Jonathan Rodderick Leary, but that is not my birth name. Most who know me call me J.R., and constantly ask who shot me. Ha ha ha. For the record, Dallas was a lame show...

Once upon a time, in my former life, I was able to list many different occupations to my credit. Those included Pizza Delivery Guy (three times), Disc Jockey (twice), College Teacher (twice), Volunteer Firefighter, Movie Theater Projectionist, Bartender, Custodian, Web Site Intern, Graphic Artist, Producer, Audio Engineer, Grip, Set Decorator, and many, many other miscelanious jobs.

My musical tastes are pretty standard, with some exceptions. I'm a fan of "beyond the mainstream" artists such as KMFDM, and I have a passionate hatred for Country Music. Why? Well, Country Music likes to make itself out to be "Family Friendly." How can music, with songs glorifying heavy drinking, murder, infidelity and general disregard for the English Language (Vittles?!?) be "Family Friendly?" If and when I have children, hopefully they will never hear the complete crap that is Country Music...

I'm a people person, but only as long as people can be individuals, not cop-outs, trend-followers or hipsters. Example: "Wiggers." That comes from "white n***er," and are, in my mind, the lowest form of idiot on the planet. In my experience, 90% of black people I know or have met simply do not act the way Hip-Hop Culture says they do. They speak like me, normally, and without the use of slang terms like "Phat," "Boo," or "Bling-Bling." To me, those just represent ignorance, and send "Wiggers" to the bottom of the Idiot Pile.

That being said, I'm not a racist, a biggot, or anything of the sort. I believe that we're all human beings, not different races. I just think that white people emulating Hip-Hop Culture look like morons.

At heart, I'm a hopeless romantic, and believe in Love above all things. In my travels, I've always been on the lookout for "Ms. Right," and am sure she exists, but I have no clue who or where she is. Then again, part of the fun of life is the Journey as opposed to just the Destination. And the Journey to finding out who my true love is, well, that's the one journey I enjoy the most. Because I know that, at the end, I'll be the happiest man on the planet.

By trade, I'm an entertainer, specifically a Rock and Roller. I love all forms of Rock (except Christian Rock), and have been part of bands in the past. Granted, they never got out of the garage, but I enjoy making music, and will continue to do so until I draw my last breath.

And since I said I don't like Christian Rock, it should be said that I'm an Atheist. I believe in Freedom From Religion, and feel that Religion itself "is a sham and a crutch for weak minded people" (Jesse Ventura, former Governer of Wisconsin). I was raised Lutheran, but from an early age, began to find holes in the belief systems my parents tried to get me to follow. My parents told me that, when I was a confirmed member of the church (Confirmation is the Christian equivalent of the Jewis Barmitzfah), I could make my own decision about Church. Well, on the day I was confirmed, I turned to the congregation, said "By the way, I'm an Atheist," gave them all the finger, and walked out the doors before anyone could react. That pretty much sums up my opinions on God, don't you think?

While I am Atheist, I don't believe in forcing my beliefs on others (like alot of Christians do, Pat Robertson), and don't make the noise that the news media portrays Atheists to make all the time. I'd rather just be left alone.

I'm also quite the nerd. My head is full of a bunch of both useful and useless trivia, since I have this habit of remembering nearly everything I read. And yes, while I'm on the subject, I LOVE to read. Books have always been a big part of my life, and it came full circle when I had a hand in teaching my best friend's oldest son to read. Now, he's addicted to books. I couldn't be more proud. To give the gift of the joy of reading is the penultimate for me...

As a side hobby, I enjoy writing. I find that I have alot of stories in my head that I'd like to share with people, and since I'm not a very gifted speaker (my mouth has gotten me in trouble on MANY occasions), I chose the written word. I started writing in my 8th grade year of High School (I went to a small school with no Junior High, just K-6/7-12), and haven't really looked back. My only problem there is I have a nasty habit of not finishing what I start when it comes to writing. I'm prone to long periods of writer's block, and often get stuck trying to come up with synonyms since I don't use a thesaurus. I should probably refine that process a bit, eh?

I'm noticing that this entry is getting rather long-winded, so I'll end it here, and will reveal more about just who this J.R. Leary weirdo really is in future posts. But for now, I'll leave you all to wonder... For the whole 2 seconds it takes to hit the close button on your browser and move on to the next web site, anyway...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home